Tuesday 26 July 2011

When death comes unexpected.

Last Friday my cousin sister's (S) husband (H) died. Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'oon.

That was a shocking news, because H was a young and healthy man (as far as I knew). He was a teacher.

[caption id="attachment_556" align="alignright" width="300" caption="*Cemetery"]*Cemetery[/caption]

As expatriates, death always is a loss to us. We can never get a last glimpse of the persons who were once part and parcel of our life.  We can never be there, physically, to console the family of the deceased, who were there to share our happy and sad moments. We can never share our loss with our loved ones. We have to comfort ourselves, and bear the grief ourselves. We are alone.

Death is a double loss when it comes unexpected. Like that of H. When the old and/or sick persons die, we expect it to happen. We visit them when we go home for vacation. We know that sometimes, that will be the last time we see them. Even though it brings grief when they are gone, still, we can control ourselves a little.

On friday, after Jumu'a prayers, Hubby S came home chatting on his phone. I was putting Aisha to sleep, so I didn't ask him about the call. After Aisha slept, when I went to him, he asked me, "Do you have a cousin BIL called H?"

Me: Yes, why, what happened?

S : Your cousin P called me now. He said H died.

Me: H died? But how can that happen?

(I even forgot to say Inna lillahi... (surely to Allah we belong and to Him we return), which we say when something bad happens or when we hear a bad news, esp of death)

S : What do you mean?

(It was then I got it, H has died. Anyone can die any moment. But H... he was a young energetic man, a teacher, always active and enthusiastic. He was also an active member of the Islamic organisation, KNM or Kerala Nadvathul Mujahideen in Kerala, India. With so many humanitarian and Islamic events to organize  and with a busy academic year, he was always hustling around. I never thought he could die so fast.)

Me: Ok..., ok. What did he die of? Any illness or accident?

S : P said of some internal bleeding, he is not sure though. Better call home to get the details.

[caption id="attachment_557" align="alignleft" width="234" caption="*Muslim coffin"]*Muslim coffin[/caption]

Well, death is always near to us. Just don't know who will be next. But I wish I could be there, to see the loved ones for a last time. To pray for them. To console their family.  But I'm here, sitting alone, pondering about it all. I don't know who all will leave me again. And I don't know when I'll leave them, where it will be. I don't know if they can get a last look at me. Allah knows everything.

May Allah forgive H his mistakes and gather H and us in His Jannah, Ameen.

 

* Photos for illustrative purpose only. Photo courtesy: Google.

1 comment:

  1. May Allah bless forgive his sins and open the gates of heaven ameen.

    I am sorry for the loss in your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comments.